4.04.2012

i'm learneding

To round off my amazingly productive Sunday, I went on a rampage mission to find a piece of plywood that would be awesome enough for my triptych painting. I started my search in the garage, since most awesome things end up being stashed in there. Behind the motorcycle, garden hose and endless amounts of crazy giant mountain bike tires, I found wooden gold: a 1” thick piece of plywood that measured around 12”x50”. F****** SCORE!

Now... I know that I'm not the best when it comes to woodwork (that's what she said!) but I really wanted to figure out this frame by myself. Having everything evenly spaced is über important to this self-proclaimed balance/proportion freak, so I started my measurements with the 12” length. HERE COMES THE MATH PEOPLE. The biggest painting I have is 9” in length, so that would leave me a 1.5” border around the painting. (12-9=3and3/2=1.5YAY)   However, I wanted the frame to overlap the paintings slightly, so I increased the border size to 1.75”.


Using the 1.75” border size as my guide, I continued to place the smaller two paintings next to the bigger one, adjusting the placements until I came up with a good configuration. That last sentence made me sound MUCH smarter than I expected it to. After drawing my guidelines, I was ready to step outside and cut the s*** out of my plywood.

Next, I used a LARGE drill bit to drill 12 holes into the plywood, one for each corner of the three paintings. I decided to use the jigsaw, since A: I know how to use it, and B: I knew where it was in the garage. After about 30 minutes, I had myself a rough-cut frame! My electric sander did all the dirty work smoothing it out, and now I’m ready to stain and assemble the final piece!


Three cheers for trying and succeeding!!