4.23.2012

theme show.


In June, the Manayunk Roxborough Art Center is going to have a bike part art show to coincide with the ever-so-popular, Manayunk Bike Race. I myself, am SUPER PUMPED about a bike part show, and I couldn't wait to start thinking about what I could come up with the submit to the exhibit!

Snazzy, ay? I'm particularly excited about the merriment.

Last weekend, I started by cutting and sanding three panels of super thick, fine-a** quality plywood for my project and used a dark walnut stain to give it a rich, rustic look. (I'm noticing a whole triptych theme here, I'm wondering why it is I've been working in threes...) I really didn't think about the panels during the week: But on Friday, after learning about the impending weekend rain storm, I decided to go home and give it some much needed attention. No one likes to spray paint in the rain. Or at least, I don't.

I set up my bike-art-spray-paint-base-camp in the driveway so I didn't stank-out the birds in our backyard: We already have one cardinal that isn't so s-m-r-t, and I didn't want to affect future generations of birds from the fumes. One bird constantly flying into the window is quite enough, we don't need his baby-cardinals flying up to our cat thinking its a tree. ITS A TREE ITS A TREE ITS A TREE! Next, I took some of Lou's old mountain bike chain rings and started layering them on the panels. I had seven different spay paint shades, and began the process of spray... rearrange!... spray... rearrange! 


I just realized that this photo is of the same two panels repeated, instead of the three I actually completed. I'll have to take better photos and upload them later. See what fumes can do to you?!

Anywho, after about a billion layers of spray/rearrange, plus the period of pause and let dry, I covered each panel in a quick drying poly-acrylic to seal it all in and make it shiny and bright. I also started experimenting with the chain rings and spokes (not spokey-dokes, unfortunately... although, now that I think about it...) so I'll have to take a picture of that and post it, too. I'm not sure how to incorporate it all together, but I'm sure an afternoon of drinking ...I mean constant thinking. I mean drinking, should clear that up.

In other news, I'm cooking dinner tonight. I accidentally spilled a bunch of red pepper flakes into the olive oil I was simmering, and didn't think too much about it. I should have. I just tasted it, and it tastes like burning. Tasty. JUST BURNING.