6.05.2013

MOTHER mold

I worked hard to get the first part of the plaster mother mold finished on Monday night. I built up a bed  underneath my rubber mold so I could work on it horizontally instead of vertically. I WISH I DID THIS IN COLLEGE. Because it was so much f***ing easier to do than working on it vertically! I built up cut walls that extended about... oh, one inch or so from the edge of rubber mold, and made a running key. (This will ensure that the second part of the plaster mold will align and lock into the first part. HUZZAH!) I mixed by first batch of plaster and applied the first "splash" coat: It's just a super even, thorough coat of plaster. Once it hardened, I started making my hemp birds-nests.

You're probably like... dafuq? Check it. I mixed up my second batch of plaster, dipped one of these 'birds-nests' into the plaster, then applied it to the mold. This will give the mold a bit more girth and strength. I actually had to mix up a third batch because the birds-nests soaked up so much moisture from the plaster!
top, l: plastalina cut walls w/keys. top, r: plaster mold setting. bottom, l: side one, finished! bottom, r: another view!
After about an hour, I stood the mold up, got rid of the plastalina cut walls, and cleaned up the edges of the plaster mold.

Yesterday, I was going to do the second half of the mold, but I was working on homework, then ate steak and lost all of my ability to function like a human being. Tonight, I need to make sure to apply A LOT of coats of Muphy's Oil Soap to the edge of the existing plaster mold before I start the second part. This will put a barrier in between the two parts of the mold, and they won't stick together.

VERY. IMPORTANT. STEP.

Then, I'll throw on the second part of the mold and be done! With the mold that is. I still need to cast in resin. I'm hoping to do that one of these nights.

So little time.