5.22.2015

who wears short-shorts?

The other day after m'board exam I did something rare. I WENT TO THE MALL! I'm not a huge mall person, but I really needed some summer shorts. The only ones I have are exercise shorts, or khakis, like Jake from State Farm. Anywho, I found a couple pairs but they were expensive! (NOTE: My current idea of expensive is $15.00... you know why? It would take me 2 HOURS of tutoring to earn a pair of shorts. Sad. ) So no, I did not buy them. But I decided to look up some patterns at home so I could sew some of my own! There's nothing like having a TON of time on your hands!
I came across this FANTASTIC BLOG called Melly Sews with the EASIEST patten for shorts. If you're looking for a fun project, sign up for her weekly newsletter, and she'll email you a link to print out the pattern. Not only that pattern, but all of her others, too! Sew simple! <---- sorry, a little sewing humor.

I downloaded the pattern, cut it out (one for the front, one for the back) and looked through my crazy collection of fabric and decided to make 6 new pairs for myself. That's right. Go big, or go home, right? Seeing that I'm already at home, it kinda contradicts itself.

Anywho, visit Melly's page for instructions... It wouldn't be nice of me to copy and paste instructions because simply, I didn't create it. Just a little reminder if you're sewing clothing: REINFORCE THOSE SEEMS PEOPLE. It takes an extra minute, but it's always worth it. The last thing you wanna do is jump around screaming yee-haw while your hoo-hah makes a break for it.

I always leave a 1" seam, and stitch over it twice. Then, I'll fold in the excess fabric, and stitch over that: This keeps the seam clean and free of frays. And remember: If you're making something, even if it's for yourself, put a tag in it! You don't want to end up like I did when someone ripped off my art as their own. This is an AWESOME project and it is simple, simple! Get this: Each pair of shorts, including the cost of fabric and elastic for the waistband.... COST ME A FRIGGIN' $1.99. WIN!!!