6.18.2015

bears, squares, monty python reference.

So everyone knows I'm relentless artsy nutcase, and that I'm forever up for an artsy challenge. Harcum, my alma mater, is having a yearlong Centennial Art Celebration that encourages students, faculty, and staff to contribute art that can be auctioned off for their Centennial Scholarship Fund. I did three projects for the cause. Why THREE? Because THREE shall be the number thou shall count, and the number of the counting shall be THREE. Four, thou shall not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to THREE.

... That really wasn't the reason why, I just happened to have enough momentum to do THREE. The first project I did was for Bears and Squares. Basically, you get a 10x10" canvas and center your creation around the theme possibilities. Naturally, I started cutting out skeletons and brains from anatomy texts. WHY? I DON'T KNOW. I think my final creation came out pretty sweet. In typical Jill-fashion, I cut out text from magazines like a serial stalker to emphasize my message, The Possibilities Are Endless.
Next, I obtained a 12" solid plaster bear to paint. Again... I started cutting out s*** from the anatomy
text again. What's my deal, anyway? I'm noticing that this is a little creepy... yes? Anywho, I started looking for dental terms, and decided to paste them over the left side of the bear... the analytical side. The right side I gussied up in an artsy way. The right holds paint brushes, the left, dental instruments. WOULD YOU LOOK AT THAT IT'S LIKE A SELF PORTRAIT OF ME IN SCHOOL. The picture on the left is before the funk is added. The right... you got it. FUNK. ADDED.

The school still had some plaster bears left over, so I decided to take another one home. It's for scholarships, after all. I just completed it today.... to be honest, I also just started it today. I really couldn't think of anything original to do to be honest. So I thought HEY. Why not paint, you know, a famous painting on it? So I chose Vincent van Gogh's Starry Night. Because it's awesome sauce. I'm pretty proud with how it came out, yes? It's not 100% like the original. You know.. because it's painted on a bear. But hopefully my creations will help someone attend the college in the future!