7.17.2012

woodworking partial fail: the end of the stained glass

The one thing I wasn't looking forward to doing was building the frame that would encase the stained glass I was commissioned to do for my friend's sisters' wedding. Is that correct possessive usage? UH, don't make me make a chart for that, too. As you might recall... many, many times over in fact, I am not competent when it comes to woodworking. I decided to make up a little checklist so I would keep myself on track. Here's how it went.

Right now I'm on #22. I literally can't f*** up from there on. Pictures of the final piece will be posted this Saturday, since I'm delivering the final pieces to her sister this Friday!

TASKTHOUGHT
1. Find wood.I can do that!
2. How about 1"x2"x4'?Look, I found it!
3. Buy wood.Yay, I look cool at the Home Depot!
4. Buy router bit.MENTAL SHUTDOWN
5. Ask Dad for help?I can do that!
6. Deliver wood to Dad.I can do that!
7. Pickup wood from Dad.I can do that!
8. Ask Lou to setup compound miter saw.I can do that!
9. Set the angle to 45°.I can do that!
10. Make cuts to wood.Um.. I think I did that right. Didn't I?
11. Assemble frame around glass.Well, it's not perfect but I can fix it.
12. Drill pilot holes for the screws.Lou, can you help me do the first one so I can watch n' learn?
13. Take 2" screws and secure frame together.WAIT, why isn't the screw going in?!
14. Try that again.I stripped the f***ing screw!
15. Use pliers to get screw out.F*** IT BROKE OFF.  Start crying.
16. Thow screw across garage.MENTAL SHUTDOWN
17. Go buy new screws.Stop crying before you get to the store.
18. Attempt #2: use screws to secure frame.GROW UP, YOU CAN DO THIS.
19. Marvel that you did it.I F***ING DID IT!
20. Glue the shit out of the seamsI can do that!
21. Fill in gaps with wood filler.I can do that!
22. Sand frame smoothI can do that!
23. Cover glass with paper, prep for paintI can do that!
24. Spray primer and coat with paint.I can do that!