8.04.2012

diy meets life event: flowers

Let's face it folks. I live in the land of DIY where I'm the president, vice-president and CEO. When I have craft nights, it's like, all the leaders of different crafting countries coming together for the G8 summit. But we don't wear suits and we don't have awkward country-tension. I love to craft and create art. Just sayin'. That being said, I think it would be almost impossible for me to have a life-event and not do some crafty projects for it. That would be like ...I don't know... A pastry chef asking someone to bake a cake for them? You know what I mean, right?...right? This whole explanation was horrible.

FUN FACT: Did you know that I say horrible wrong? I pronounce it whore-able. Lou teases me because it's supposed to be haar-ible.

So, here's a project I'd like to tackle for the upcoming nuptials. But before that, a little disclaimer. Let me make something quite clear. This will not become a wedding blog. I'm simply not that kind of girl. Now, now, don't get me wrong. I'm stoked to the pumped about the wedding. It's going to be a ton of friggin' fun! To have an event with my family and friends all there? YEAAAAAA BOYEEEEE!

OK. Now onto a craft project I want to tackle:
photo courtesy of Anthony Carbajal via Offbeat Bride
photo courtesy of Anthony Carbajal via Offbeat Bride
Handmade yarn pom-pom flower bouquets. I found this awesome article on this site called Offbeat Bride detailing how to make them. I thought this would be so super cool to have instead of live flowers. I think live flowers are so pretty, but $300.00 for a bouquet? You shittin' me, bro?


Obviously, I'll have to make one for myself, my sister, and then people who like, wear flowers. Parents and such? Maybe future husband? Who knows. I don't want them to look tacky or cheap, but I thought it would be a simple fun way to add a shit-ton of colors and fun to something that I would otherwise just pick out from a catalog. Fun pom-poms on sticks collected from the Wiss? I likes the sound of that.

Here's a little test I did with yarn that my sister gave me and sticks from out in our yard. I think they need to be bulked up a little, and the sticks need to be twigs or smaller so they can gather a little easier. I think it'd be cool! I hope family agrees.