10.03.2011

i'm drowning in fabric.

Holy hell.  There's so much fabric... so so much fabric.  Let me tell you what I did which the oodles of fabric this weekend. I went home and began bundling my fabrics, but the stack fell on top of me.  I survived the weekend by eating mother's preserves and retained my sanity by dribbling a basketball that was barely within reach of my one free hand.  I made a game of it.  Seeing how many times I could bounce the ball in a day, then trying to break that record.  When the police came to search the house, I called out, but they didn't hear me.  Desperate, I used a little fourth-grade chemistry to build a rocket, which I attached to a vacuum cleaner cord.  I launched the rocket which wrapped around a support beam.  I then switched on the cord retraction on the vacuum cleaner, which pulled me to safety.

No, not really.  That's from an episode of The Simpsons.  I'm actually really excited about my progress, although it sounds super boring: All of my fabric (5 1/2 yards of muslin and about 8 yards of assorted scrap fabric) was rinsed, dried and pressed.  I even took the time to rinse like colors together.  I don't even do that with my own laundry.  I cut the muslin down methodically: first into sixteen 11"x45" strips.  Then each strip was cut into seven 5-1/2"x11" strips... then into two hundred twenty-four 5-1/2"x5-1/2" blocks.  Lemme tell you: ROTARY CUTTERS ARE AMAZING.  Sounds like a lot of work, doesn't it?  Well, according to the directions I'm following, it's not.  I'm on step 2.

PS... I have this thing to do at work that I've been putting off since last Thursday.  I'm trying to do it now, but it's just too boring.  I know I'll get it done today... but I keep thinking about how cool the quilt will be.  OK... I wrote that last bit around 11:30.  It's now 12:46 and I still haven't done it yet.  But I did get a cup of coffee.  Now it's 12:53.  Maybe I'll just try tomorrow.