5.10.2013

F! F! F! F!

Lord knows I haven't been F'in around lately. I've been busy as F. Why the F am I talking like this? Because I have a big F'in F I'm working on. NO. SERIOUSLY. I'm making a 40" tall wall-hanging F. My sister was looking for a giant F (the first initial of her last name, not an odd ode to F) for their den, but she couldn't find something that was F'in big enough. And most were F'in expensive. So I told her I'd give an F if she'd like me to.

Onto the F'in details! First of all, I had a lot of help from an amazing tutorial over at Green Zebra Crafts. I used some different materials which I'll explain below. You know, my original idea was to use flexible wire mesh covered with paper mache. Which sounds like a horribly F'in tedious idea. Idea fail.

a giant paper F
First, I literally needed to print out a giant F. Microsoft Word didn't quite work for me, so I went into MS Paint to create my 40" tall F. Here's a F'in tip though: DO NOT make your letter in solid black. Adjust the font to a light grey tone, and print it on scrap paper so you're not wasting ink and good paper on something you're going to throw away.

two cardboard F's
Once the F was printed, taped together and trimmed of excess paper, I traced F out on enough cardboard to make two F's. Regular ol' scotch-tape worked just fine, but I think masking tape would have worked better to join all the F'in F pieces together.

Then it was onto making the two flat F's into a 3D F. Out of the F'in scraps of cardboard, I cut 1" wide strips and joined them together into a massively long 1" wide strip. I took my time and affixed this strip to the interior of the bottom F with hot glue. I used making tape to sure-up the seams on the outside. Then, it was onto attaching the top F. This I did just out of masking tape. A LOT OF MASKING TAPE.

VOILA! I had myself an F'in giant 3D F.
Crystal at Green Zebra Crafts then covered her letter with paper mache. I was on the verge of going to buy some when a 1/2 used gallon of joint compound caught my eye. F'IN BINGO. Right now I have two F'in coats of the joint compound on the front and one on the back. This weekend I'm hoping to get it completely F'in covered and textured, and paint it a glorious F'in yellow.