6.08.2012

mermaids and duckfishpony

Speaking of things that I might not have mentioned before: Duckfishpony. Go ahead, Google it. DUCKFISHPONY. You'll find I had my 15 minutes of fame on HGTV's show That's Clever! What the hell is a Duckfishpony, you ask? Well, it's the loneliest creature in the lake, that's who.

Back when I was working as a summer seasonal employee at the DEP in New Jersey, I had the task of drawing up a coloring book to give out to kids who visited various state parks and forests. (My other 10 minutes of fame is located here. Don't be too impressed with my crappy drawings, please! NO AUTOGRAPHS.) When my assignment was done, I ended up combining some of the animals together into new creations, which I then ecstatically shared with my graphic designer friend Jonathan. The first one was the DFP. Soon after, the Foxcycle followed. Then Cathippoeagle.

Fast forward to 2005. I had minor surgery that left me couch ridden for a whole damn day. My mom asked me if there was anything she could get me, so I asked her if she could bring me some clay. I ended up sculpting the DFP in all it's three dimensional glory. Through a curious series of events, a producer from the show That's Clever! ended up calling me in 2007 asking if I was interested in having it on the show. I said no. YEAH F***ING RIGHT I SAID YES. It aired in 2009, and since then the DFP has graced the shelf on desk, watching quietly over my creativeness.

Fast forward again to 2012. My cuz asked me if I could paint a cast iron mermaid for his steamboat. I started mixing the colors, and almost immediately I thought of DFP. I brought him down from his shelf and let him watch me paint the woman of his dreams. Once she was done, I staged a little photo session with them. They're friends now. But soon, she'll be sent off to my cuz so she can grace his boat in all her glory. And yes, I know I'm crazy.

DFP approaches with caution...
he makes his move...
SUCCESS.