8.10.2011

a long post full of small details.

I've managed to keep up the good work on the pepper festival sign!  Let's see, where did I last leave off?  On Monday, I completed the triangular border design on the second piece of the sign.  I was certain to make sure that the pattern would match up where the two pieces join together.  Then I started moving onto lettering... so much lettering...

Here's a fun nugget about the lettering.  For this sign I thought it would be wise for me to print out my text, scan it as a JPEG, then blow it up to the size that I needed in Photoshop.  There's just too much guess and check when you're trying to freehand text on such a big sign.  What if I ran out of room?  No one wants to buy HOT SAUC.

I decided to paint the hot sauce text red to make it pop out.  I added a black border because the red was alas, not popping out and getting lost against the background.  Then came the logo.  I started by drawing a 12" circle where the logo would be, then primed it.  Painting the orange and burgundy around the lettering was a little difficult, but smaller brushes did the trick!  I'm still thinking... should I add a border to this as well?

I think tonight I'll try to trace on the rest of the text.  I have to make sure that none of the text fall on the line between the two pieces!!  That should keep me busy!

On other non-sign related news, I finally watched Black Swan last night!  (Thanks to Steph... I hope she didn't mind my candor too much, since I tend to ramble and shout during movies.)  The cinematography was quite beautiful and erratic.  I thought that it matched the main character's inner turmoil, which was a key element to the movie.  I'd love to watch it again, as I think I missed a lot of little things that could help me understand it a little more.

OK... maybe I'll post more tonight depending on the progress I make.  Toodles for now.