3.16.2012

the balancer

Spring is a finicky season: You get luxurious bright and sunny days, mixed in with sporadic rainy dreary days. I think it's kinda funny when people complain about the rain. Is it really all that terrible? Sure, you can't do everything you wanted to outside... but what about all the things that you can be doing inside, besides complaining? And if it didn't rain, well... s***, we'd all be a little parched, wouldn't we?

When I look the big picture, the weather seems like a natural balancer for me. When it's sunny and beautiful outside, I spend all my time out in the garden. Or thinking about being outside. Or, ironically, watching HGTV shows about being in a garden. Which doesn't make any sense, because I'm inside the house watching a show about being outside the house. Any hopes of working on bags, sculptures or the quilt flies right out the window. My mind is filled with transforming the outdoors.

But on days like today where it's overcast, drizzly, dark and stormy, the reset button in my mind is clicked and I think about all the things that I can do inside. I want to race home from work, jump into comfy pants, and start on projects that will keep the wheels in my mind spinning like... well, wheels. There are three more wine bags I have cut out that need to be sewn together. There's a basted quilt that's begging to be sewn together. And there's tree bark that's sitting, waiting to be transformed into a sculpture.

Is there a point to all this? Eh, not entirely. I'm just excited to get home and get to work. If I have to depart with a point, it'd be to make the best out of every situation. I can't wait to take pictures of my weekend projects! Here's to the rain!