3.13.2012

seasonal creative syndrome

Since I basically know everything there is to know about stuff in general (LOL!) I diagnosed myself with SCS. I call it Seasonal Creative Syndrome. Every year when the temperature spikes above 60 degrees, I emerge from my work space, pale and groggy, rubbing my eyes and looking up into that giant ball of energy we call the sun. My attention swiftly drifts from doing anything indoors to doing everything outdoors. Thoughts of sewing bags turn into thoughts of sewing new cushions for the bar stools outside. Painting with acrylics and oils becomes spray painting outdoor patio furniture. And organizing my office space? No... that becomes trimming vines, planting flowers and sweeping the patio.

Who doesn't love working outside?! I basically grew up wanting to mow the lawn every chance I got, and if weeding had to be done, believe me: IT GOT DONE WITH GUSTO. Years and years of city apartment living deprived me of the opportunity to garden, and now... well, now I'm all up on it like stink on s***.

There were bags that I wanted to sew this weekend... but I didn't. There was a sculpture I wanted to start... but I didn't. And you know what? For once I don't feel too bad about not completing something I set out to do. I spent my time outside in the sun. Trimming vines, transplanting iris's, installing a new patio light, turning soil, and admiring the small world of our backyard. And I'll do it again, every chance I get.
our garden, last year in the springtime.