3.07.2012

thou shalt reorganize

I started reading a new book yesterday called The Craft Business Handbook and I'm super pumped about being more professional and organized when it comes to building my little business! I'm only through page 18, and I can already imagine myself sitting in my office with a cup of coffee, sewing the day away while the sun and the breeze stream through my window.  OK, maybe I'm a little far off from that moment, but hey, ya gotta start somewhere. It got me thinking about my workspace and how inefficient it really is. I immediately got confused... how am I going to get from point A to point B in there?

Luckily, whenever I get confused... I reorganize. Or cook. But Lou was cooking last night. So inevitably, I swooped everything out of my office, dumped it in the bathroom (maybe that wasn't the best choice of words...) and started to rearrange my space.

No lie, I hope that rack holds. Those ties are heavy as s***.
Step 1: Get rid of crap. I had a GIANT box of ties that was taking up a lot of floor space that I needed to find a solution for. So my decision was to make a custom tie rack! Some spare wood from the garage, wood glue, screws and hanger-things was all it took to make my tie-organizational dream come true. Step 2: Move furniture. The layout I had before was cluttered and cramped, and I was always searching for more room to work. Now that my old table is fully extended, I have plenty of room to stretch! Step 3: Put s*** away in it's proper place. Seems like a small task, but this little gem of a step has been my new years resolution for years. I can't tell you how many times I take something out, and don't put it back. Organizational FAIL. Step 4: Put it all back together!

Here's my worktable, relocated to the opposite wall with my tie-rack gracing the wall above it! I'd love to be able to paint this room sometime soon. Nothing drastically different, just a brighter color so everything doesn't always look so dark. Or I could just get a better lamp... that's probably easier. I'd also like to take the sliding doors off of the closet, since they're always falling off and getting in the way. That would open up the space so so so much! I'm looking forward to working in my new space today. Maybe I'll pour a cup of coffee, open the window and pretend that I was living my daydream from this morning.